The 2017 Symposium on Innovation in Teaching & Learning was an opportunity for faculty and staff to show their pedagogical strategies, network with colleagues, and attend professional development programs in teaching and learning.
The day included:
- A keynote and workshops by Dr. Thomas Angelo
- Breakout sessions about pedagogy and educational technology
- Roundtable "birds of a feather" discussions with colleagues
- Presentation of the Innovative Teaching Award
- Networking opportunities
- Lunch, desserts, and raffle
Keynote Speaker: Thomas Angelo, Ed.D.
Thomas Angelo, Ed.D., serves as Clinical Professor of Educational Innovation and Research and Director of Educator Development in the Eshelman School of Pharmacy at UNC Chapel Hill. He coauthored the book Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers.
Keynote Speech: "Motivation to Learn"
The speaker presented an overview of:
- Research findings on student motivation
- Practical applications of research aimed at enhancing student motivation to learn
Workshop: "Creative Thinking & Innovation"
Attendees broke out for a workshop that covered:
- Research-based "lessons learned" on creative thinking and innovation
- Practical strategies for promoting expertise, creativity, and innovation
Resources from Keynote and Breakout Sessions
Keynote, Dr. Thomas Angelo
Working with Teaching Assistants (TAs): A roundtable discussion on strategies for success
Leveraging technology to increase learning through student-feedback tools
Cognition and memory: Why students struggle with building knowledge and what to do about it
Starting with the end in mind: Designing project-based learning experiences workshop
Creativity Workshop Handout
Leveraging Technology Handout
Cognition & Memory Handout
Essential Project Design Elements
Project Design Elements Checklist
TA Roundtable Handout
Fostering Creative Thinking and Innovation Powerpoint